It is a sad day for comedy as George Carlin died. He was 71 and a pioneer in the stand-up world. George had a history of CAD and went into the hospital on the 22nd with chest pain and didn't make it through it this time.
George Carlin's comedy history is legend. He produced 23 comedy albums, 14 HBO specials, three books, a couple of TV shows and appeared in several movies. Carlin hosted the first broadcast of "Saturday Night Live" and noted on his Web site that he was "loaded on cocaine all week long." He won four Grammy Awards, each for best spoken comedy album, and was nominated for five Emmy awards. Interestingly enough, it was just recently announced that Carlin was being awarded the 11th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.
George initially had a so-called clean act when he started but realize it wasn't what he wanted to do. What he wanted to do was to make people think and so he pushed the envelope. The world always needs people like George Carlin.
Here are some famous Carlin quotes. Enjoy:
1. If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted?
2. When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day?
3. I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks so I wondered, what do Chinese mothers use? Toothpicks?
4. Is a vegetarian permitted to eat animal crackers?
5. What if there were no hypothetical questions?
6. Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
7. Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong.
8. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
9. Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
10. Why do croutons come in airtight packages? It's just stale bread to begin with.
11. I think it would be interesting if old people got anti-Alzheimer's disease where they slowly began to recover other people's lost memories.
12. I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away.
13. There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
14. At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom.
15. Death is caused by swallowing small amounts of saliva over a long period of time.