Sunday, July 11, 2010

Gullible Me


What, most doctors aren't that gullible? Maybe they can think for themselves? A new study in the June issue of the Archives of Surgery found that 72% of 590 surveyed doctors and medical students said industry sponsored lunches were appropriate, 60% said samples improve care for their patients, and 71% said pharmaceutical and device company money is useful for funding residency programs. This study did not follow doctors and see if their prescription habits are swayed by these things. That is the real issue but I think physicians are smart enough and mature enough to make some decisions on their own. A lunch here or there, a pen now and then or a stuffed animal is not going to make me prescribe certain drugs. Besides, it gives Big Pharma's marketing people a chance to make fools out of themselves which in turn gives us more material for the Stupid Pharmaceutical Tricks section in the Placebo Journal.

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

A while back a doctor had posted an article in my newspaper and he had stated how a pharmaceutical rep came to his office and was trying his darndest to get him to prescribe a new drug to his patients.. This doctor had already did his homework and had studied up on the drug and drew his own conclusions on it.. He stated how he in his right mind could not prescribe something where he did not agree w/the outcome of the product... He stuck by his guns and told this rep this... I wish there were other doctors who were like this one... As they say, take everything w/a grain of salt.

Pat said...

My experience in private practice with drug reps was largely positive. I found when I developed relationships with them, it was a good way to promote my practice and a number of them (and their families) became my patients. That did NOT mean that I preferentially prescribed their product. A couple of them were a pain, and they didn't get as much of my time; a couple of them were very nice but I didn't like their drug, so we politely enjoyed their lunch, used their pens, and discarded their samples. When I disagreed with a pitch, I argued with them. By and large they were honest capitalists trying to sell a product just like the rest of us, which I respected and still do.

That, and I thought the hot babes dressed the place up.

Edwin said...

Doctors certainly aren't any more gullible than administrators who worry about the opinion of drug-seeking, disability abusing, profanity slinging ER patients who complain and are labeled 'dissatisfied customers/clients.' And we're gullible?

mamadoc said...

Well said, Ed. Amazingly enough we're all grownups and can make our own decisions. Apparently the government thinks we're venal and stupid (just like them).