Friday, April 9, 2010
Under its men's health section, AOL recommends these "5 Tests That Could Save Your Life".
- Cardiac CT Angiography - unproven and not universally recommended
- Bone Density Scan - no age given by AOL and not universally recommended for men
- VO2 Max Test - WTF? This is for athletes in prime condition. I haven't even heard this term since my days getting my master's degree in exercise physiology
- Virtual Colonoscopy - again, not universally recommended and if it is positive you need a regular colonoscopy. The worst part about any colonoscopy is the "clean out" which you have to do for both anyway.
- Nutritional Evaluation - maybe. How about just losing weight if you are overweight?
This information is the kind of crappy advice given out by the media that drives us doctors crazy. By the way, they call us GPs in the article. Haven't heard that term in years. Nicely done, AOL. Idiots.
Posted by Authentic Medicine Blog at 5:17 AM